From: SWEET LIFE
Recipe courtesy: Hormel Foods, spam.com
It wasn’t one of Marissa’s finer moments, lurking behind a Spam display at the grocery store while spying on her husband. But what she saw was so upsetting that it wasn’t until she got home before she realized she had more Spam than she knew what to do with. Fortunately, Malia found a way to get food on the table for everyone. Serve this with fresh green beans or a salad for a complete meal.
- ¾ cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (about 28 ounces)
- 1 can chicken broth (about 13¾ ounces)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 SPAM® Classic (12-ounce) can, cubed
- ½ pound shrimp, cooked, shelled and deveined
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and cut into thin rings
- ¼ cup pitted black olives, halved
- In a large pot, sauté onion, garlic and celery in olive oil until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, water, chili powder, thyme, salt, sugar, and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and Spam cubes, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add peppers, olives and hot pepper sauce to taste. Cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaf before serving; sprinkle with parsley and serve.