From: GOOD THINGS
One of Deidre’s confections that won the hearts – and appetites – of chocoholic locals and tourists alike!
Yields: 2 dozen
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup prunes, puréed with 3 tablespoons of water
- ½ cup nonfat yogurt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ½ cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1½ cups cake flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, prune purée, yogurt, oil, egg whites, espresso powder, and cherries (the liquid mixture).
- Sift the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda together in another bowl (the flour mixture).
- Slowly stir the flour mixture in the liquid mixture until blended well.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll the chilled dough with your hands into balls the size of ping pong balls. Roll in powdered sugar and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until firm.