Recipe courtesy: reader Donna Holderbaum (Tiki Island, TX), bonus winner of the 2009 Food Fiction Nine-Book Giveaway
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup white Karo syrup
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 stick butter plus 1 tablespoon
- 1½ cups chopped pecans
- 1 unbaked pie shell (I like Pillsbury ready crust)
- Combine flour, cocoa and sugar.
- Add eggs, Karo syrup and butter.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat.
- Add chopped pecans and ½ teaspoon vanilla.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake at 350º F for 35 minutes. Let cool.
- Top with sweetened whipped cream or a side of vanilla ice cream.