From: GOOD THINGS
Who needs potpourri? To get your home smelling like the season, whip up a pan of Deidre’s gingerbread. This is a breadier gingerbread that uses three different forms of ginger: fresh, ground and crystallized. The applesauce is in lieu of butter, which significantly reduces the fat in the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons rice bran oil
- 6 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup boiling water
- ¾ cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely chopped
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 cloves, ground
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, applesauce, brown sugar, egg, egg white, crystallized and fresh ginger, lemon zest , buttermilk, molasses, and boiling water.
- Sift the flours, baking soda, salt, ground ginger and cloves. When ready, stir the dry ingredients into the applesauce mixture.
- In a butter and floured 9” x 12” baking pan, pour the batter and bake for 25-30 minutes, until toothpick comes clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool for 30 minutes. Cut into squares or slices and serve.