From: SWEET LIFE
Recipe courtesy: Debbie Davis, Kamuela Coffee N’ Cones
Random acts of kindness, like a freshly baked biscotti tucked next to her cup of coffee, soothed Marissa when she thought her life was falling apart. This Kava Java favorite keeps Jane busy, but it doesn’t feel like work if you’re doing something you love. Eat it plain or dip into your coffee.
Yields: 2 dozen
- 1 package chocolate cake mix
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup instant Kona espresso powder
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Cut parchment paper to fit large cookie sheet
- In a large bowl, blend dry ingredients for biscotti. Add eggs and blend just to mix.
- Add melted butter into biscotti mixture. Blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the macadamia nuts. Continue to blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Using your hands, shape the dough into a log and lay it on the parchment paper. Roll it out to approximately 5” wide and ½” thick.
- Shape into a rectangle.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and cool for 20 minutes.
- Cut biscotti into even horizontal strips, approximately 1” wide. Lay each biscotti on its side on the cookie sheet, leaving space between each one.
- Bake at 350º F for another 10 minutes, then lower the oven heat to 200º F and continue baking for another 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- ½ cup powdered confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons Kona coffee, cooled
- Mix confectioner’s sugar with 1 tablespoon of cooled Kona coffee. Stir until consistency is a little thicker than maple syrup, adding the remaining coffee as necessary.
- Place glaze in a plastic sandwich bag and squeeze the glaze to one end. Cut off the tip of the corner of the bag.
- Glaze top of biscotti in a zigzag pattern. Let the glaze cool completely before serving. Store any remaining glazed biscotti in an airtight container.