From: SWEET LIFE
Who says vegan can’t taste good? Kavena makes these delicious energy bars for her and Isaiah, but Malia eats through most of her supply. Fortunately, this is an easy recipe to double, even triple, so Kavena always has plenty on hand …
Yields: 2 dozen
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- egg substitute equivalent to one egg
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup margarine or vegan butter substitute (you can also use 1/5 cup canola oil)
- ½ cup brown sugar or vegan sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- ½ cup dried fruits (dates, raisins, cranberries, coconut), chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Cream butter and brown sugar together. Add vanilla and egg substitute.
- Beat well. Stir in flour mixture, macadamia nuts and dried fruits (if using coconut, reserve some for topping).
- Spread mixture in greased 9” x 4½” pan. Sprinkle with remaining coconut if desired.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into rectangles or squares.