From: GOOD THINGS
A last-minute scramble and surf on the web found this delicate yet hearty recipe for Live Simple’s “Coming Up Roses” segment. If you choose to use rose petals from your garden, be sure that they are well-washed and free from pesticides or other chemicals.
- 2 cups fresh basil, finely shredded
- 1 cup rose petals, finely shredded
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoon rosewater
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Romano cheese, grated
- 1 pound linguini
- 1½ tablespoons salt
- 4 quarts water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine the basil, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor or blender until chunky but not pureéd.
- Add olive oil and rose water slowly.
- Add the Parmigiano Reggiano and Romano, salt and pepper, continue to blend lightly.
- Cover and reserve half for future use.
- Boil the linguine and drain (reserve 2 tablespoons of pasta water – see below). Place linguine back into hot pot.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the pasta water and the cream into the pesto and toss with pasta.
- Place in large serving bowl immediately, garnish with whole rose petals.