From: SWEET LIFE
Recipe courtesy: Chef Peter Merriman, Merriman’s Restaurants merrimanshawaii.com
Ah, the memories. Valentine’s Day is usually one of those holidays you don’t forget, and in Marissa’s case, there’s no question about that – this one is definitely unforgettable.
- 2 (6-8 ounces each) ahi tuna steaks (¾” thick)
- Marinade (see recipe below)
- Dipping sauce (see recipe below)
- Slaw (see recipe below)
- Roll two, sashimi-style cuts of ahi in marinade, and sear in a hot wok or hot skillet, for 30 seconds per side.
- Slice and serve with Dipping Sauce and Asian Cole Slaw.
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons shallots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons dried chilies, crushed
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- juice from ½ a lemon
- Mix all ingredients together. Set aside.
- 2 tablespoons wasabi powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ? cup fresh lemon juice
- ? cup mirin (Japanese sweet cooking wine)
- Make a thick paste with the water and wasabi powder.
- Add the soy sauce, lemon juice and mirin. Mix well and reserve.
Asian Cole Slaw
- 1½ cups Chinese cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ cup mung bean sprouts
- ½ cup Bermuda onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Mix all ingredients together. Chill until ready to serve.