From: SWEET LIFE
Recipe courtesy: Chef Albert Jeyte, Kilauea Lodge, kilauealodge.com
Marissa’s not sure if it’s the crackling fire or Tom’s steady gaze that keeps things hot on that rainy day in Volcano. The hearty soup helps her keep her head straight and her heart focused.
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 3 pounds celery stalk, cubed
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 17 ounces of milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup coconut syrup
- 1½ teaspoons celery salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- • Parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
- Add chicken stock to a 4-quart pot. Bring to a boil.
- Purée celery and potato in food processor until very fine. Add purée into boiling chicken broth and beat with a whisk for 2 minutes.
- Add milk, heavy cream, and coconut syrup. Stir.
- Bring to a fast boil, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer.
- Add celery salt and white pepper. Stir.
- Cover the pot and continue to simmer for 40 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Remove pot from stove. With a 2-ounce ladle, force liquid through a fine sieve into 4 bowls. Discard the heavy purée in sieve.
- Cut the butter into ½” cubes and add to soup bowls. Stir with a small whisk until butter has dissolved.
- Sprinkle parsley for garnish and serve.