From: GOOD THINGS
Even Marla went back for seconds with this one when no one was looking. You can prepare this dish up to two hours in advance through step 4. Refrigerate and, when you are ready, proceed with step 5.
- 1½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 large leeks, cleaned and sliced, white part only
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ pounds baking potatoes (Russet or Idado), peeled
- ½ cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375° F degrees.
- In a medium skillet, combine ½ cup of the stock with the leeks and simmer until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Lightly brush a stoneware baking dish with olive oil. Slice the potatoes thin, laying 1/3 of them on the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Drain the leeks and add half of the leeks. Make another layer of potatoes, salt, and pepper, adding the remaining leeks. Top with a final layer of potatoes and pour the remaining cup of stock over the potato and leek mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, remove the foil and sprinkle with cheese on top, and continue baking until golden and crisp, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 2 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.