From: TABLE MANNERS
Recipe courtesy: Seattle food blogger Molly Wizenberg, orangette.blogspot.com
- 2 pounds shallots, trimmed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- sea salt, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Put the shallots in a baking dish large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Add the oil and vinegar, and toss well with your hands to coat. Cover the pan tightly with a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven and gently flip the shallots with a spatula. They should be beginning to soften nicely and starting to brown.
- Cover the pan again and return it to the oven for another 15 to 45 minutes, checking occasionally, until the shallots are very soft and well caramelized. Don’t be afraid to let them brown in spots. They should bake for 1 to 1½ hours in total.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Special Notes: You could use any number of vinegars here, such as balsamic or vinaigre de Banyuls; sherry isn’t essential.